Friday, May 20, 2016

Treasure Hunting and Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

The same day as the fourth grade book club I also had the sixth and seventh grade book club. Three children attended (1 boy!) and we discussed Seraphina by Rachel Hartman. This is a good time to discuss, what age is too old for a discussion ball? The third and fourth graders love it, but one seventh grader thought it was weird. Should I stick to a written out discussion? Maybe, I'm trying to decide. Anyways, to go with the discussion we had a treasure hunt (treasure and dragons seem to go hand in hand). I bought some prizes that I thought sixth and seventh graders might like (thank you Five Below) and hid them around the gardens. This was great fun for the children, but we couldn't find two items, and I couldn't remember where I put them. So if anybody from my library finds a ping pong ball with an emoji on it, and a sheet of smiley face stickers, feel free to keep them. Overall, this program went fairly well. The last book of the year that this group is going to discuss is The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau. Next I will be talking about my third graders, who read a book on magic. All for now. Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment