Monday, March 21, 2016

Math Olympics

Today I filled in for my teen volunteer for the Bedtime Math group. Normally I supervise this, but the teen was out sick. So on 5 minutes notice I came up with the Math Olympics. There were four events, cup stacking, a short race with five laps around a table, "long" distance jumping and hopscotch. 
I used what I could find in the math cupboard. A box of glow sticks were used to make hopscotch. I timed the events with a stopwatch and I measured the jumps with cups and a measuring tape. 
After the events everyone got a prize from the prize bin I keep in the Children's room. 
After the Olympics we played math freeze tag where they had to answer a math problem to unfreeze. And finally I ran out of math related ideas and pulled out an old favorite, telephone, to quiet the children down before the end of the hour. Every child went home happy and I gained another experience. Creative Math. 

No comments:

Post a Comment