Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Thirty Seconds book blurbs and the memory game

So today was fifth grade book club and no one came. I picked The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate for next month. Anyways, I'm really disappointed because I didn't get to play the new game I made up. It's a memory game to go with thirty second book blurbs. I learned book blurbs at the NELA conference I went to. It's actually the children's part of NELA that I can't remember the name of right now. To keep attention you only spend thirty seconds talking about each book. To go with this the speaker suggested to show pictures so they can make a connection. Instead of pictures I used objects. And to make things more fun, I made it into a memory game. Meaning, I showed them the objects then covered them up and had the kids write down what they remember seeing on the table. Then when we went over the objects I talked about what books went with each object. It was a great way to introduce the books and make a game of it. The game was popular with my early in the month book clubs, 4th grade and 6-7th grade, but these late ones aren't as popular, 3rd grade and 5th grade. So I didn't have a chance to play this game. Hopefully the book clubs will at least gain popularity. All for now. Regards, Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment