Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Third Grade book club

Unfortunately, and I'm sure many of you have been through this before, only one person came to the third grade book club. We did pick a book, Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate, but the games just aren't the same with only two people. I have this really fun ball game I call the genre game. I came up with the game because what happens when you ask a third or fourth grade what genre they like? "I don't know." Awesome. So anyways I took a regular medium sized bouncy ball. It fits in two hands pretty well. I took this ball and I wrote questions on it. Do you like sports? Do you like Dragons? Do you like exploring new places? On top of this I also have Have you...? where I ask them if they read and liked Harry Potter, or the Magic Tree House series, whatever is appropriate for the age group. I thought it was a pretty good way of getting the kids to talk while still letting them be somewhat active. My sixth and seventh graders thought it was great. Didn't try with my fourth graders yet. But rolling a ball back and forth between two people, not really worthwhile. But I tried to make it as fun as possible.

I also came up with thirty second blurbs for the books and came up with a game for that, but that is a story for another time. Regards.

The Youth Services Room

No comments:

Post a Comment